Pages

14 August 2009

Weaning... Another Milestone

Zyler is 19 months old! Can you believe it?

I think I may have nursed Zyler for the last time on Tuesday evening. Or at least the last time for a while... We had gotten down to just a.m. and p.m. sessions when he was cutting the morning one short a few weeks back. But he hung onto the evening session for a few more weeks, even if the sessions were short and sweet. I've always had trouble off and on getting him to not use me as a teething toy when he has teeth coming in, so I have had mixed feelings on weaning anyway... But I think it was this Wednesday when I went into his room when Daddy was reading him books, and he just wanted to go into bed instead of asking for milk. That has never happened before in my presence! I was miffed in a way but fine with it at the same time. Today I was kneeling down with him and he was looking at my nursing tank top at the clasps and said "milk," not in a request way but just observing, and proceeded to look down my shirt at the source. :) I didn't offer and it was fine.... We'll see if he might request any comfort nursing or such.

Update 8/24: He has started asking for milk again at bedtime for the past several nights... Ah, what a journey. I do have to admit that I was enjoying having my body back...! :o) But I certainly enjoy our BF bond we have...

4 comments:

  1. Yes, the ever loving self-weaning: The Last Sessions...
    you will lose track of the days soon, but it IS indeed a bittersweet time!
    You are such a good, balanced mommy!
    What a gift to have given your son...

    Love,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abigail quit at 14 months on her own. I actually cried... but more for the reason of knowing my little girl isn't so little. I think there has been 2/3 times since July 21st that she actually has and it had been short and sweet but more as a way to pacify. I don't think there can possibly be much there... but she looks at/points to them and I say yes, the boobies are mommys and we are going to save them for your brother or sister (find out in 17 days) sometimes she will look down her own shirt and I say... "Oops where are they.... oh well they will come in soon enough." But when she looks or points at mine she never tries to nurse... so it is more of observation with her too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the nursing! I wish I had been able to for longer with Lara. I pray that it will keep working with Liam. You are such an awesome mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Paige! It is wonderful that you have stuck it out so long...what a gift. Jay self weaned at about 10 months (I wouldn't let down fast enough and he preferred the cup.LOL), I was a little bummed but I loved having my body back...I am looking forward to doing it again someday.

    Best,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Questions? I'd love to hear from you.